The Department of Sociology encourages applications from all students, regardless of race, creed, nationality, or sexual orientation. Applications to our graduate program are processed by the University of Georgia's The Graduate School. Please visit their website for application forms and instructions. In addition to the below information, be sure to become familiar with the Admissions section of the Graduate School as well as the application insights we have provided.
Office of Graduate Admissions
The following documents must be submitted online to the Graduate School by December 15:
- Application and three letters of recommendation submitted on-line.
[Applicants who wish to be considered as legal Georgia residents for tuition purposes must submit the Application for Georgia Residence Status, found on page 4 of this application. This form is only visible for current Georgia residents who request to apply for residency on page 2.]
- Application Fee of $75.00 for domestic applicants and $100.00 for international applicants (paid online). The application processing fee is non-refundable and is collected to cover the cost of processing the admissions application.
- Applicants should submit unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended as part of the online application. Unofficial transcripts not submitted as part of the online application can be emailed to email@example.com. Official transcripts are not required during the review process and will only be required for applicants who are offered admission. Do not mail official transcripts until offered admission. Please refer to the Academic Records and Transcripts site for more detailed information.
- GRE Standardized test scores officially sent from the testing agency (ETS School Code: 5813).
- International applicants must also submit either TOEFL scores officially sent from the testing agency (ETS School Code: 5813) OR the IELTS Scores officially sent form the IELTS Testing Center. In addition, a Certificate of Finances (COF) form which documents financial support must be submitted. NOTE: In order to be considered for a departmental teaching assistantship, international applicants must obtain a score of 26 on the speaking portion of the IBT TOFEL.
Department of Sociology
The following documents must be sent by December 15 to the department of sociology:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- Writing Sample
We prefer all documents sent electronically to the Graduate Coordinator Assistant (firstname.lastname@example.org). PDF documents or word documents are preferred.
If you do not have access to email you may send paper documents to:
Department of Sociology
113 Baldwin Hall
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-1611
For questions or additional assistance, please contact the Graduate Coordinator Assistant at 706-542-7147.